Re: Network stress testing

Hi Dale,

Stress testing networks can be quite tedious depending on what type of 'real
simulation' you have to abide by.
If you have a budget take a look at an appliance called 'Flame Thrower' I
forget who the vendor is ATM, but it was complete in regaurds to stress
testing IDS's.  We used it at my old company about 2 years ago, and I'm sure
it has been enhanced since.

If you have no budget and are just looking for a cheap solution (free
opensource tools) then 'wget' for ftp / web traffic and tcpdump + tcpreplay
are your friends with -nl options (this breaks real network traffic
ofcourse).   I wrote several tools about 2 years ago ( I had just started
coding then so excuse the poor code heh but they worked for me back then ;)
SAT Tools on PacketStorm if you want to look at them.

*Note - These are probably not feasable for dns stressing.

There are several other network appliances available for generating traffic at
controlled speeds, but from my experience "Flame thrower" did quite well for
IDS Stress testing as it has an API for integrating new attack simulations
and has several modules already included in it.

-x