RE: grsec patch over debian 2.4.20 kernel

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 12:16, Hobbs, Richard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was under the impression that an "apt-get dist-upgrade" would upgrade me
> to the latest everything...
>
> I am running "stable" if that makes a difference. Is 2.4.20 in testing or
> unstable at the moment, or is it just being blocked from my woody
> installation?
>
> Thanks,
> Richard.

Apt will never upgrade a kernel unless you explicitly tell it to install
a new one. Kernels are too critical to just be replaced willy-nilly,
particularly without a backup around and available *just-in-case* -
unlike M$ that believes it isn't an update unless you are forced to risk
the system being totally buggered. That is why the kernel version number
is part of the package name.