Re: Network stress testing

> Would anyone have a recommendation for doing a stress
> test of a network? I've got a big show coming up and
> I'd like to set up re-produceable test procedures so
> I know how things respond under expected real life loads.

Which layer do you want to test?
Layer 2 (Ethernet etc)
Layer 3 (IP)
Layer 7 (Web)

> I'm sure I've run across discussions of such tools
> but I can't remember any names.

> In particular I'd like to be able to hit a web server
> (and the local dns) with n requests/min to ensure
> it works, or if not to identify the weak spots.

In that case, ab (apachebench) is a very handy tool.  If you have Apache
installed you should be able to find it.  Otherwise there are many other
webserver testing packages, have a search of freshmeat.net

> I'm doing googles in parallel with this query as
> I'm rather under stress testing myself at the
> moment, with a fixed deadline...

Goodluck,

Tim