Problem with kernel messages

Hello

On a fresh installed Woody, I've a strange Problem: After a
syslogd restart (by hand or logrotate) I lose the kernel
messages. All the ather facilities are well, only kern.* is
missing.

Klogd is reporting the messages to the display as well, but
syslogd doesn't catch them. After a reboot, all's fine.

I first noticed this with 2.4.20 kernel from kernel.org, with
Openwall patch and no loadable modules. I've tried:

kernel-image-2.4.18-386
sysklogd 1.4.1-10 or syslog-ng 1.5.15-1.1
klogd 1.4.1-10

Any suggestions?

Regards

Jürg Schneider