RE: Problem with kernel messages

> Hello
>
> On a fresh installed Woody, I've a strange Problem: After a
> syslogd restart (by hand or logrotate) I lose the kernel
> messages. All the ather facilities are well, only kern.* is
> missing.
>
> Klogd is reporting the messages to the display as well, but
> syslogd doesn't catch them. After a reboot, all's fine.
>
> I first noticed this with 2.4.20 kernel from kernel.org, with
> Openwall patch and no loadable modules. I've tried:
>
> kernel-image-2.4.18-386
> sysklogd 1.4.1-10 or syslog-ng 1.5.15-1.1
> klogd 1.4.1-10
>
> Any suggestions?

Probably you will get your logs back if you restart klogd, instead
of rebooting. I have the same problem with syslog-ng as a syslogd
replacement.

Bugreport was done but it seems the situation is unclear. The bug
comes from either klogd or syslog-ng (I don't know, I do suspect
klogd, especially if you have the same problem using syslogd).

As a (dirty) turnaround, I added some "klogd restart" stuff into my
syslog-ng init scripts.