Re: is iptables enough?

   Definately true, and worth mentioning.  There is also the point that
several of the punier devices that one might thrust into the horde of
angry packets might have crummy stacks or be vulnerable to the silliest of
things (especially in the case of consumer grade equipment).  If the
hardware is already there (cpe with filtering capabilities, routers, etc)
then I'd advise people to consider the pro's of security vs cons of
managing it.  Deciding between a spof (router/cpe and likely a couple
ethernet cables) and a firewall that is more disrespectful to unwanted
packets is a tough call for me in the workplace.  If the router/cpe can
take a beating then I might live with it and sleep a little better at
night -- though such decisions take testing and careful consideration.

   I'm too paranoid to say on this list before the masses that "iptables
is enough" in the workplace.  For others it may be enough, and that is
fine.  There is a bigger picture to be seen for those who care, and my
apologies if my response is steering this discussion further off topic
than the original poster was seeking.  I don't intend to suggest that
iptables is inferiour, or that if you use iptables as your only means of
filtering you suck.

   I'll make an effort to be more on-topic in the future.  A few things
touched a nerve and I probably should have just clammed up and rolled with
them.  Something being "good enough" just grabbed me and squeezed in the
wrong places.  :)

-ian