Re: machine monitoring packages

	Not sure what problems you're having with Nagios but my office
was originally using Big Brother which the previous admin regime had
installed before being handed over to our department to manage. Our team
found BB to be a complete and utter pain in the ass so we removed it and
replaced it with Netsaint. Now that Nagios is out we're working to
migrate our configuration from Netsaint -> Nagios, as well I'm part of
the Nagios Plugin development and working to make the plugins
AF-independent as our office requires the ability to monitor IPv4 and
IPv6 hosts and services...

	With escalation schemes, contact groups, service & host
dependencies, planned downtime/outages and configurable notification
methods we have found Netsaint/Nagios to be great. We have far less
false-positive outage alerts than with BigBrother which makes us pay
more attention to the notifications when they are sent out. With BB we
would procmail them to a folder and ignore them because there were
always so many.

	As for there not being any DEB for Nagios, there are several
Nagios DEBs in unstable (nagios-text, nagios-pgsql and nagios-mysql).
Currently there is no stable release of the Nagios Plugins (latest
release has been 1.3beta2) but the plugin API has not changed so the
netsaint-plugins package still works with Nagios.

	Not sure what configuration/installation issues you're having
but I haven't had anything not work with the default configuration and
ours is now fairly highly customized...

	Jeremy