[OT] Re: machine monitoring packages

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, gabe wrote:

> I would like to know what ppl think is the best package for monitor
> servers, at my last work place they were installing "mon".  In my new
> job they use Nagios, which I'm not to sure about due to the fact that
> installation / configuration goes wrong.  Most importantly there's no
> deb package for Nagios which makes me not wanna use it in the first place.

Hi Gabe,

I've used NetSaint (the forerunner to Nagios) in some pretty big
installations (200+ machines, 2000+ service checks) with good success.
Without too much work, you can also tie it in with rrdtool to
automatically collect and present trending data.  I'm working on
converting to our site to nagios now.

Anyway, there are nagios packages for Debian.  The current package is
part of the testing/unstable distribution, but builds fine on stable
(after you build a few of the build dependency packages).  If you'd like,
I can make a nagios.deb built against stable available for you.

Cheers,
tony

  tony@mancill.com     |  Matter cannot be created or destroyed.
http://www.debian.org  |  Nor can it be returned without a receipt.