Re: securing pop3

On Sat, 08/02/2003 03:52 +0100, Kuba Jakubik wrote:
> Kristof Goossens wrote:
>> /bin/false. So my question is: "Is it possible to create a pop3 account
>> without
>> needing to modify the /etc/passwd file?"

You should use a pop3 server that supports virtual users, like
popa3d[1].

> you need the users to have an account on the system, so smtp can receive
> mail for them afaik.

Nou you don't, you just need to configure your MTA to accept mail for
them.  If you're using exim you could add the following director:

virtualuser:
  driver = aliasfile
  transport = local_delivery
  file = /etc/vmail
  search_type = lsearch

Then put the names for the users you want to receive mail for in
/etc/vmail.  You'd probably want to define a custom transport though.

1. http://www.openwall.com/popa3d/

--
Tim van Erven <tve@vormig.net>          Fingerprint: F6C9 61EE 242C C012
OpenPGP Key ID: 712CB811                   36D5 BBF8 6310 D557 712C B811