Re: securing pop3

Kristof Goossens <kristof@xssass.be> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I need to make a pop3 account on my server. I intend to work with ipop3d to
> provide secure pop3 service. Now I want to provide this service for only
> few people, and I don't want them to have an account on the system. Well, they
> can have a pop3 account, but no other access whatsoever...

Use /bin/true as a shell script for these users. So they can use pop3 services,
without having a shell account.

> I don 't like the idea of giving them an account and setting their shell to
> /bin/false. So my question is: "Is it possible to create a pop3 account without
> needing to modify the /etc/passwd file?"

You can use a Virtual POP server, but I don't remember how you must configure the
service for non shell users.

You can also disable any ssh, telnet or other "shell access" services

But globally the modification of /etc/passwd is not so bad :)

--
You may be marching to the beat of a different drummer, but you're
still in the parade.