Re: I'm searching for a network wide system update tool - fun stuff

hi ya

> On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 02:18:16PM +0100, Ivo Marino wrote:
>
> > I think using a cron-job like cron-apt for updating security related
> > packages automaticly on the servers not only could be a problem
> > considering the securtiy point of view but also this could corrupt a
> > server configuration and leave the system/service out of function.

d/l all the *.deb changes to your test.foo.com server
	- test that the patches works ... nothing breaks

- than release (copy over ) the tested *.deb to your local ( deb.foo.com )
  debian distribution server

- on each client box in your lan, add deb.foo.com to your sources.list
  files ( be sure that all the *.deb are tested packages )

- in cron, on each box... run apt-get update and apt-get upgrades

- if you wanna force certain changes to occur now, send a command
  to target pc to update "this file now" from the dist servers

c ya
alvin

pushing changes is bad idea
	- you do not know if the changes was performed
		- achine could be offline,
		- you will get timeouts, slowing down other updates
	- you can only update a limited number of machine

pulling changes is good..
	- only machines that are up will update itself
	- you can support hundreds/thousands of client boxes