Re: I'm searching for a network wide system update tool

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 02:18:16PM +0100, Ivo Marino wrote:

> I think using a cron-job like cron-apt for updating security related
> packages automaticly on the servers not only could be a problem
> considering the securtiy point of view but also this could corrupt a
> server configuration and leave the system/service out of function.

cron-apt's apparent default setting of only updating and downloading
(not upgrading packages) should be pretty safe.

> Anyone has allready written a script like the one described above or
> maybe knows an allready existing application which could perform
> this task? Thanks.

Having not looked at dsh before, here's the one I worked up. I do have
to make sure that PATH contains /sbin, /usr/sbin, etc. for an apt-get
upgrade, but that's no big deal.

=====

#!/bin/sh
FIREWALLS="fw1 fw2"
SERVERS="srv1"
WORKSTATIONS="wk1 wk2 wk3"
XTERMS="xt1 xt2 xt3"

case $1 in
    "-f") HOSTS=$FIREWALLS;;
    "-s") HOSTS=$SERVERS;;
    "-w") HOSTS=$WORKSTATIONS;;
    "-x") HOSTS=$XTERMS;;
    "-a") HOSTS="$FIREWALLS $SERVERS $WORKSTATIONS $XTERMS";;
    *) echo "Usage: $0 (-f|-s|-w|-x|-a) command"; exit 1;;
esac
shift
for HOST in $HOSTS; do
  echo $HOST:
  /usr/bin/ssh $HOST ${1+"$@"}
done

=====

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu