Re: SNORT not adding entries to snort/portscan ???

> Perhaps I did not state this clearly enough. The majority of cases
> I run across are caused by an entirely unnecessary dependancy to
> a version of libc6 which isn't in any way required for the package
> in question. Yes, one can fix this manually. Every time, for every
> package. Which naturally means you do it once or twice and then
> say "oh forget it" and wait a year or whatever until the next stable
> upgrade.
>
> Package Dependencies on lib versions (or any other entity for that
> matter)  really are several entirely different things:
>
> 	* the API changed and my application will fail with any
> 	  lib version prior to this one because it relies on
> 	  the changes.
>
> 	* bug fixes went into this lib version without which my
> 	  app will crash.
>
> 	* bug fixes went into this version which I specifically
> 	  want/prefer for my application, but it won't crash
> 	  on the older one.
>
> 	* I just like to use the latest set of lib version digits
> 	  for no particular reason.
>
> I suspect the majority of package version dependencies fall into
> the last category.
>
> If this was dealt with, there would be a much higher level of
> interoperability between packages in various dists. Still a
> caveat emptor, but far, far easier to deal with.

Is this an example of what you mean?

  /usr/sbin/sendmail: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found
		      (required by /usr/sbin/sendmail)

After `apt-get' upgraded sendmail to 8.12.6, this error appeared.
As I recall from another Debian list, the response from whoever
compiled this version was something like "Oops, stuff happens
in the testing distro" but, a month later, there's still no working
replacement.  How does one go about fixing this kind of problem?

Andris