Re: SNORT not adding entries to snort/portscan ???

    Dale> I've a general issue along those lines. There are often
    Dale> tools I'd like to install but most packages specify >= a
    Dale> version of libc6 even when the package would basically run
    Dale> with any libc that ever existed.

    Dale> In one sense this is a more general issue, but it's also a
    Dale> security one in that it prevents using adding important
    Dale> tools to an older dist on a one off basis, even if that tool
    Dale> would give a substantial increase in security.

I would have thought a reasonable number of packages can be upgraded
by grabbing the source, patching using the Debian diff and
dpkg-buildpackage'ing. I've done this on a small number of packages
without problems. Some manualy fixing of the diff maybe necessary
obviously if there are bug fix patches included that aren't required
for the newer version.

I was under the impression that if people wished to have newer
"stable" versions then it is up to individuals to handle this
themselves. It is not something that the Debian project can be
expected to maintain.

Sincerely,

Adrian Phillips

--