Re: tiger reporting thousands of files with "undefined groups ownership"

This one time, at band camp, Carlos Sousa said:
> On Sun, 3 Nov 2002 20:56:34 +0100 Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 01:18:03PM +0000, Carlos Sousa wrote:
> > >
> > > # pwck -r
> > > user news: directory /var/spool/news does not exist
> > > user uucp: directory /var/spool/uucp does not exist
> > > user majordom: directory /usr/lib/majordomo does not exist
> > > user postgres: directory /var/lib/postgres does not exist
> > > user msql: directory /var/lib/msql does not exist
> > > user list: directory /var/list does not exist
> > > user gnats: directory /var/lib/gnats/gnats-db does not exist
> > > user telnetd: directory /usr/lib/telnetd does not exist
> > > user mysql: directory /var/lib/mysql does not exist
> > > pwck: no changes
> >
> > 	Should this be there? I'm pretty sure there should be there.
> > $ dpkg -S /var/lib/mysql
> > mysql-server: /var/lib/mysql
>
> Actually, the msql entry also seems suspicious:
>
> $ dpkg -S /var/lib/msql
> dpkg: /var/lib/msql not found.
>
> What is it doing there? I haven't mini SQL installed, I couldn't even
> find mini SQL in the Debian packages... Should it be safe to remove msql
> from passwd/shadow?
>
> > 	If you have mysql-server installed (and I bet you do since you
> > have the 'mysql' user) then that directory might have been lost in the
> > crash.
>
> I shouldn't have mysql installed.
>
> $ dpkg -l 'mysql*'
> | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
> |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version        Description
> +++-==============-==============-============================================
> un  mysql          <none>         (no description available)
> un  mysql-base     <none>         (no description available)
> pn  mysql-client   <none>         (no description available)
> ii  mysql-common   3.23.52-2      mysql database common files (e.g. /etc/mysql
> un  mysql-dev      <none>         (no description available)
> un  mysql-devel    <none>         (no description available)
> pn  mysql-doc      <none>         (no description available)
> pn  mysql-gpl-clie <none>         (no description available)
> un  mysql-gpl-dev  <none>         (no description available)
> pn  mysql-gpl-doc  <none>         (no description available)
> pn  mysql-manual   <none>         (no description available)
> pn  mysql-navigato <none>         (no description available)
> pn  mysql-server   <none>         (no description available)
> pn  mysqltcl       <none>         (no description available)
>
> Hmm, bit of a mess here...
>
> Why do I have a few mysql packages in a Desired=Unknown state? How
> could I upgrade the to a Desired=Purged state?
>
> Anyway, the avalanche of files reported by tiger surely cannot be
> totally explained by this mysql breakage...

'un' means that it is not installed, and you've never tried to install
it, unlike 'pn' which means that you once installed it, but later purged
it.  It looks like you have had a mysql server/client setup on this box
at one point in the past, but the passwd/group entries for mysql were
never removed, probably because you weren't removing mysql-common at
the same time.  None of this looks like a real problem.  Sorry I can't
help with your real problem, but this doesn't look like it.

Steve

--
Software is like sex; it's better when it's free.
	-- Linus Torvalds