Re: tiger reporting thousands of files with "undefined groups ownership"

On Sun, 3 Nov 2002 20:56:34 +0100 Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 01:18:03PM +0000, Carlos Sousa wrote:
> >
> > # pwck -r
> > user news: directory /var/spool/news does not exist
> > user uucp: directory /var/spool/uucp does not exist
> > user majordom: directory /usr/lib/majordomo does not exist
> > user postgres: directory /var/lib/postgres does not exist
> > user msql: directory /var/lib/msql does not exist
> > user list: directory /var/list does not exist
> > user gnats: directory /var/lib/gnats/gnats-db does not exist
> > user telnetd: directory /usr/lib/telnetd does not exist
> > user mysql: directory /var/lib/mysql does not exist
> > pwck: no changes
>
> 	Should this be there? I'm pretty sure there should be there.
> $ dpkg -S /var/lib/mysql
> mysql-server: /var/lib/mysql

Actually, the msql entry also seems suspicious:

$ dpkg -S /var/lib/msql
dpkg: /var/lib/msql not found.

What is it doing there? I haven't mini SQL installed, I couldn't even
find mini SQL in the Debian packages... Should it be safe to remove msql
from passwd/shadow?

> 	If you have mysql-server installed (and I bet you do since you
> have the 'mysql' user) then that directory might have been lost in the
> crash.

I shouldn't have mysql installed.

$ dpkg -l 'mysql*'
un  mysql          <none>         (no description available)
un  mysql-base     <none>         (no description available)
pn  mysql-client   <none>         (no description available)
ii  mysql-common   3.23.52-2      mysql database common files (e.g. /etc/mysql
un  mysql-dev      <none>         (no description available)
un  mysql-devel    <none>         (no description available)
pn  mysql-doc      <none>         (no description available)
pn  mysql-gpl-clie <none>         (no description available)
un  mysql-gpl-dev  <none>         (no description available)
pn  mysql-gpl-doc  <none>         (no description available)
pn  mysql-manual   <none>         (no description available)
pn  mysql-navigato <none>         (no description available)
pn  mysql-server   <none>         (no description available)
pn  mysqltcl       <none>         (no description available)

Hmm, bit of a mess here...

Why do I have a few mysql packages in a Desired=Unknown state? How
could I upgrade the to a Desired=Purged state?

Anyway, the avalanche of files reported by tiger surely cannot be
totally explained by this mysql breakage...

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/