Re: [OT] secure, minimal Debian installation for linux-based thin clients?

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 12:41:37PM -0700, Chris Majewski wrote:
> Now, we're looking  to upgrade the Linux on these  thin clients. I like
> Debian,  so that's  one  obvious choice.  However,  a standard  Debian
> install (e.g.  what I run  on my machine)  gives us much more  than we
> need. This isn't fatal, since  the filesystem is NFS-mounted, but it's
> not clean, either. Is  there a Debian-derived minimal distribution? Or
> should we just install the base Debian system, add X via tasksel, and
> add/remove remaining items with dselect or apt-get?

You might want to drop in on the Debian Beowulf crowd, since
a beowulf is basically a whole lot of thin clients. pbuilder
is useful for defining your own base.tgz file if you want
to go that way.

    Nuke bin Laden:           Dale Amon, CEO/MD
  improve the global          Islandone Society
     gene pool.               www.islandone.org