[fixed] Re: cryptoloop confusion

Peter Cordes, 2002-Aug-30 22:16 -0300:
> On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 02:20:36PM -0700, Jeff wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know how I can create an encrypted filesystem on a file in
> > my home directory, non-root?  I'm using the loop-aes system and I can
> > create everything but I have to chown the file and mount point to
> > change the owner and group to my user.  But, when I mount the
> > filesystem the mount point directory is changed back to owner=root and
> > group=root and I can't create directories and files in the mounted
> > filesystem since I don't have permission.
>
>  Are you aware that when you mount a filesystem on a directory, the
> mountpoint is hidden, so not only are files in it not accessable by name,
> the ownership and permissions are hidden as well?  The new filesystem's root
> directory ownership and permissions are what you see when you ls -ld /mnt/foo
> (after mounting something on /mnt/foo).
>
>  mke2fs creates the root directory with ownership=0:0, so you need to change
> it.  If you mount the filesystem and chmod it to what you want it to be, it
> will stay that way across mounts and unmounts, just like /usr stays owned by
> root.
>
>  If you already knew that, and the problem is something else, then I don't
> know how to help.

I didn't know that this was the caseq.  After your explanation above I
went back and mounted the filesystem and then chown'd it and now it is
retaining the proper ownership through umount/mount.  I was doing the
chown prior to mounting it, so as you explain above I was chown'ing
the hidden mountpoint.

Thanks alot...jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer