Re: Mail relay attempts

On Thursday, 29 August 2002, at 16:57:09 +0100,
Dale Amon wrote:

> > I'll add another one to that: I started using syslogd-sql, which is a
> > modified version of "the" syslog 1.4.1 that also allows logging to a
> > MySQL database. I hope it is a step in the right direction to use
> > advances SQL queries in order to support analyzation of logfiles. Any
> > opinions on that from the more experiences ones on this list? :)
>
> It would be nice, but I don't know if syslog-ng supports
> it... it might, I just don't remember seeing it the last time
> I read the manual.

As far as the documentation says, there is no out-of-the-box support in
syslogng to log remotely to an SQL database. However, maybe destination
type program() could be useful: when syslogng starts and sees a
program() destination, it forks a copy of the program and keeps it open
to send (via stdin) log strings that the program should dispose of
properly.

This program can be a 50-line PERL script, but I don't know if this
ad-hoc solution could be deemed solid enough for a production system (I
didn't try it myself).

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Woody (Linux 2.4.19-pre6aa1)