Re: Mail relay attempts

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 11:49:36AM +0200, Michael Renzmann wrote:
> I'll add another one to that: I started using syslogd-sql, which is a
> modified version of "the" syslog 1.4.1 that also allows logging to a
> MySQL database. I hope it is a step in the right direction to use
> advances SQL queries in order to support analyzation of logfiles. Any
> opinions on that from the more experiences ones on this list? :)

It would be nice, but I don't know if syslog-ng supports
it... it might, I just don't remember seeing it the last time
I read the manual.

And of course if you really want to get hardcore on logs,
you would need a printer (or a write-once media ) on your
master logging server and you'd keep the results forever.
Depends on who you're working for.

I think if I were going to use sql analysis I'd
consider doing it on a different machine than the
hardened logger. For "hardened" read "simple, stupid,
and understandable."

    Nuke bin Laden:           Dale Amon, CEO/MD
  improve the global          Islandone Society
     gene pool.               www.islandone.org