Re: debian-security-announce-$lang@lists?

Jan Niehusmann wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 12:18:29PM +0200, Danny De Cock wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Siegbert Baude wrote:
> > > language. As a side note: I personally know Germans and foreign
> > > Chinese students here in Germany working in this business, whose
> > > English skills wouldn`t allow reading complicated DSAs.

One could reduce a DSA to "do I have this package installed?  Yes,
then I'd better update.".  However, if these people are subscribed to
a translation list and no translator is available at the moment,
they'll end up with a knowingly vulnerable system until they receive
the translated DSA.  This delay is what I am concerned about, since
it's easy to become infinitive when people are unavailable, on
holiday, on debconf or whatever.

> > I do not think these people will (be able to) set up their own debian
> > system: if their foreign language skills are insufficiently evolved to
> > install such a system, there is no need to read the DSAs.
>
> While I agree that sufficient english skills to read a DSA are necessary
> to do a good job administrating a debian system, I'm very sure it is
> possible to install debian without understanding english.

Looking at the gratuous (sp?) effort with translating everything,
granted for sure.

> I think the problem is a different one: In my experience, nearly all people
> dealing with linux systems know enough english to read DSAs. But many
> are just to lazy to read anything that is not in their native language.
> So translating the DSAs may lead to more secure debian systems, and in
> the end, less vulnerable systems on the net. So I think it's a good
> idea. At least as long as it doesn't delay the distribution of the
> english DSA.

These people already have the chance of reading DSAs in their native
tongue at the web server, though, imposing a delay, based on the work
of the translator and the website rebuild.  Hence, there is already a
chance for these people to read DSAs in their native tongue.

I'm counting one "I'm in favour of translated -announce lists"

Regards,

	Joey

--
Let's call it an accidental feature.  --Larry Wall