Re: Problem with logcheck

On Thu, 08 Aug 2002 21:51:18 -0400,
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> wrote:
> I'm not sure who's at fault here, but I found that /var/log contained
> many old log files, with a ".0" extension, which I believe got there
> when changing system loggers, causing logrotate's configuration to
> change.  After deleting those (note: not all .0 files are bad; check the
> date), everything worked fine.
The problem is that savelog begins its suffix with 0 while logrotate
begins its suffix with 1.  logcheck has a crude hack to support them:

if the log file is shorter than it was, then:
  if there is logfile.0, assume that it was rotated by savelog and read it
  else, if there is logfile.1, assume that it was rotated by logrotate

If you switch from savelog to logrotate and leave logfile.0,
logcheck will read it every time the log file is rotated.

--
Oohara Yuuma <oohara@libra.interq.or.jp>
Debian developer

Better just encrypt it all in your head :-).
--- Derrick 'dman' Hudson, about encryption without any physical medium