Re: More (more) SSH Fun (X11 forwarding)

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 07:03:50PM -0500, Tom Hoover wrote:
> that it was supposed to work, I found that I needed xauth installed on
> the firewall machine, even though X is not installed on the firewall.
> Once I did an "apt-get install xbase-clients" on the firewall,
> everything started working.  Thanks for confirming that cascading is
> possible, and pointing me to the solution!

Another possible solution would be:

ssh -L 2000:remotehost:22 firewall

and then, again on the local machine:

ssh -X -p 2000 localhost
(here you may get a warning about unknown/wrong host keys, because the
daemon you are connecting to is, of course, not presenting the host key
of localhost)

This way, you have a direct ssh connection between both computers
involved in X forwarding, and the firewall doesn't need (parts of)
an X installation.

Jan