Re: More (more) SSH Fun (X11 forwarding)

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 11:18:31PM +0200, James Nord wrote:
> Tom Hoover wrote:
> >How do I connect to the desktop computer _thru_ the firewall and use X11
> >forwarding?  Do I have to setup ssh port forwarding on the firewall?  Do
> >I have to setup some other VPN software?  Is there a howto anywhere that
> >will guide me?
>
> You should be able to cascade the X forwarding.
>
> Did you try,
>
> user@work> ssh -X user@firewall
> user@firewall> ssh -X user@desktop

I had tried that before, and it didn't work (my problem was that since
it hadn't worked, I didn't know if it was _supposed_ to work).  To test,
I then tried:

 user@laptop> ssh -X user@desktop
 user@desktop> ssh -X user@laptop

which worked (this proved that cascading _should_ work).  Once I knew
that it was supposed to work, I found that I needed xauth installed on
the firewall machine, even though X is not installed on the firewall.
Once I did an "apt-get install xbase-clients" on the firewall,
everything started working.  Thanks for confirming that cascading is
possible, and pointing me to the solution!