Re: Spamassassin [was: Good Day]

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 09:28:36PM +0200, Ralf Gerlich wrote:

> > > reading message nielsen@mail.oz.net:7 of 16 (3715 octets)
> > > ...procmail: Program failure (-11) of "/usr/bin/spamassassin"
> > > procmail: Rescue of unfiltered data succeeded
> > > fetchmail: MDA returned nonzero status 62720
> > >  not flushed
> [SNIP]
> > servers and other such stuff (besides, spamassassin on a 120 MHz
> > machine is s*l*o*w).  After migrating it over to the new box (1.2
> I use the client-server mechanism of spamassassin, where one has
> spamassassin running as a daemon running and just uses a light-weight
> client(spamc) to process mails. This spares the effort of loading all
> the rules and the whole spamassassin processor from scratch for each
> mail. I got it running on a 200MHz Pentium and it's running OK.
> (Well, it's still a bit slow, but I don't want to know how slow it
> would run without the daemon *g*)

I have my running on a 486 with only 20MB!! It runs fine but I had
to make sure that one and only one mail is being processed at a time
[sendmail and queues did the job here]. I managed to process
over 1000 mails in less than 5 hours running spamd on nice 19.

I know that without the daemon, it took about 30s for each mail
with lots of swap. With the daemon, [most messages I get
are from debian mailing lists so they are not huge], it takes
less than 5s per message with little swap.

But, no matter what the machine you have, you have to cap it down
or it will not handle a large enough load.

- Adam