Re: More SSH Fun (X11 forwarding)

* Anne Carasik (gator@cacr.caltech.edu) [020701 16:01]:
> This one time, David Caplan wrote:
> > Hi, I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do, maybe this will
> > help :)
> >     does it matter if you authorize the other computer with xhost?
> >     or just a `xhost +` ?
>
> Nope, that didn't help. It may be because X11 isn't listening on
> port 6000, but I really didn't think that would affect X11 forwarding.
>
> Guess it does.  I'll try and set my X11 to listen, and if that fixes
> it, it goes in the FAQ :)

nonono! don't set your x server to listen for tcp and don't use xhost.

That is the Wrong Way. The whole idea of using ssh's x forwarding is to
avoid sending your X session (including all your keystrokes) across the
wire in the clear. (It's also rather convenient, once it's set up right,
to locally-display remote apps, but demonstrated difficulties in getting
it set up negate any convenience argument in this case, I think!)

For review:

http://www.google.com/search?q=never+xhost&btnI=I

good times,
Vineet