Re: possible hole in mozilla et al

Coming from a corporate environment I hardly feel that stable is ancient. With most commercial operating systems the quality control seems so poor it takes a few years before we feel comfortable moving to a new release. But with Debian I can point to the unstable-testing-stable system and my boss understands that it has already gone through a 'teething' period before it's released. If Debian were to accelerate the path to stable too much stable would loose it's value to us. (unless security fixes were released for older stable versions)

I am not arguing for any change in the policies for determining what is stable and what is not. My feeling is (and I admit I haven't done any studies) that stable gets delayed sometimes due to obscure packages having bugs or obscure platform specific bugs. It seems to me that most commonly used packages like apache, php, postgres etc have a pretty good track record and could be considered stable a few months after they are released.

Using the same criterea used the debian folks now you could have more frequent updates if you simply selected a small set of carefully chosen packages. Kind of a debian sub distro.

             Tim Uckun
      Mobile Intelligence Unit.