Re: Putty 0.45 vs. SSH Login

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 07:23:29PM +0200, Tim van Erven wrote:
> I don't know much about OpenSSH or PAM internals, but how about adding
> an option to PAM to make authentication always fail for root and move
> all this authentication stuff into PAM.

you could use pam to deny root access with the pam_listfile module

in /etc/pam.d/ssh add the line :
auth    required        pam_listfile.so item=user sense=deny file=/etc/sshuser onerr=succeed

and put the deny's user line by line
you'll have the 1~3 delay then and a authentification failure for root
without the 'PermitRootLogin no'

--
Tab