Putty 0.45 vs. SSH Login

Hi folks,

I am running a Debian (potato) box with a home-brewed 2.4.16 kernel, OpenSSH v. 1.2.3-9.4, and having just come across some strange behaviour I seek the advice of the wiser....

When PermitRootLogin is set to no in /etc/ssh/sshd_config (as it should be), tryimg to log in as root using PuTTY 0.45:
1. after typing the correct password, the "Access denied" message line is returned immediately
2. after typing any other char string, there is a short (1-3 sec) delay before the "Access denied" message line is returned.

Any ideas?

rauno