Re: Putty 0.45 vs. SSH Login

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 06:24:23PM +1000, William Law wrote:
> Rauno,
>
> 	What it looks like is that openssh is having to perform a
> username/password lookup for the user you are trying to log in as,
> creating the delay.  For root, the openssh daemon has already been told
> that this user is not allowed, so doesn't need to perform the lookup.
Not exactly...
I forget where, but i saw an option "delay after bad login/passwd".
It's usually set on 3 sec. So after typing a bad passwd, you have 3 sec break,
and after passing a good password, you are allowed to enter by passwd, but ssh
kick you out at once, without any pause :))
(of course when logging as root)

--
Michael "carstein" Melewski	 |	"One day, he said, in a taped segment
carstein@poznan.linux.org.pl 	 |	 that suggested chemical interrogation,