port-forward ssh

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a machine to handle cvs over ssh with public-key
authentication, for an open-source project. The OS is debian-testing.  A
linksys cable/dsl modem acts as router, switch, and NAT agent between
the local network and the outside world. I have the linksys set to
port-forwarding for port 22 and 'dmz' for the cvs server. Everything
works as long as I'm connecting from inside the local network, even
using the outside IP address. When I try to connect actually from
outside, ssh -v says the initial port-forward happens, but then the
connection times out. I set the timeout period in sshd_config to 1800,
with no effect. I've been looking at web pages, the ssh book, and a book
on firewalls, but there's something here I don't understand. Does anyone
have a suggestion on what I can do to figure this out?

thanks,
Joan