Re: Un-installing inetd on Woody.

On Wed 13 Feb 02 19:14, Howland, Curtis wrote:
> Would simply commenting out all the lines in inetd.conf be sufficient?
>
> I realize that this is not the same as uninstalling, but it's not clear
> what the goal is. If the machine is isolated, it doesn't matter. If it's
> not isolated, iptables/ipchains firewall functions are a better idea
> anyway.
>
> In deselect, a capital Q instead of hitting {return} will "accept this as I
> typed it, do not check dependencies", so you may be able to uninstall that
> way.
>
> Maybe being a little more clear what your goal is to the list will inspire
> some better re sponses. Good luck!
>
> Curt-

 My system is my desktop and my server. The machine is
connected to the internet and I use my own IPTables script to protect my
network.

I've used the update-rc.d script to remove the inetd init scripts from all
runlevels. But, I still want to un-install it completely. I've heard that the
inet daemon can be used in many different types of attacks and I don't want
to experience any first hand.

Stef