RE: Emulate real ip's to access intranet hosts from outside

IMHO, putting a box on the interweb has security implications. But
port-forwarding in itself isn't exactly a security problem. I use port
forwarding to forward packets do a dmz, so on the off-chance that I am
r00t'd, all they have access to is the dmz. They still would have to be
real sneaky to get into my internal network, unless they can exploit the
firewall which isn't running any services.

>From my understanding, using port forwarding into a dmz is a very good
idea. Running services on your firewall is a much greater risk than port
forwarding, since if the firewall is r00t'd, then they control the
access point to the interweb and can sniff user/pass at will, and do
whatever else they feel inclined to do.

Not trying to start a huge thread or a flame, but pointing out that
port-forwarding in itself doesn't have any security implications, it's
the implementation of port-forwarding that can have security
implications.

My .03, adjusted for inflation

Steven

"exitus acta probat"