[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Bind9 stopped after 34 days of uptime

Hi, Domonkos

Thank you very much for your advice. However, I think this is not my case:
pope@marianela:~$ free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:        248880     243912       4968          0       3744     155060
-/+ buffers/cache:      85108     163772
Swap:       530136       2680     527456

Also, my logfiles ARE rotating. However, I guess I'll wait until bind fails 
again, and then (before restartint it) I'll try to figure out what's 

In addition, I have just remembered that I'm running kernel 2.4.20-rc1. A big 
fault, mea culpa. The reason for running this kernel is that some time ago we 
had a lot of problems, we were using 2.4.19 and I wanted to update to a newer 
kernel ASAP (finally those problems were due to a faulty RAM module, and 
that's already solved). As soon as I can, I'll update to 2.4.20.

Again, thanks a lot for your help!



El Mié 25 Dic 2002 15:23, escribió:
> Hello,
> I have the same problem recently. I've deleted the needless users and
> groups from the group and passwd files, but because of some reason the utmp
> grp is needed by logrotate (why ? :)). Because of this problem, the
> logrotate didn't run daily and logfiles were bigger and bigger. Some days
> ago I received an alert from netsaint that my shiny new bind9 stopped
> running. I started to investigate it and I was surprised that i have 2
> megabytes of free ram :/ I figured out that if some of the log files are so
> big (around 100Mb) syslog-ng ate up all of my 256Mb ram. So i compresssed
> those log files, restarted syslog-ng and bamm i have 181 Mb of free ram. So
> you should check this as well :)
> Best Regards,
> Domonkos Czinke
> -----Original Message-----
> From: InfoEmergencias - Luis Gomez [mailto:lgomez@infoemergencias.com]
> Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 3:03 PM
> To: Debian security
> Subject: Bind9 stopped after 34 days of uptime
> Hi all
> I've been running my company's server with Linux in the same computer for
> about six months. Tonight, when I arrived home (my company is in my house)
> at about 6 a.m., I noticed I could not browse any website, and noticed that
> the DNS server (bind 9) was stopped. It was up when I left at 15.30h. I
> restarted the service and everything is OK now.
> We currently have an uptime of 34 days, and this had never happened before.
> The computer is running Woody, upgraded every night (via cron.daily). I've
> been looking at my logs, trying to determine at what exact time the dns
> server failed, but I cannot figure out. We never lost connection from the
> Internet, as we use a secondary name server provided by our name registrant
> (gandi.net), so as far as I can tell our name did not stop being resolvable
> from the outside (that explains why I didn't stop receiving mails, I
> think).
> Well, if anyone has ever had a problem like this and can lend me a hand or
> give me some advice, I'll be very happy to hear you :-)
> 	Pope

Luis Gomez Miralles
InfoEmergencias - Technical Department
Phone (+34) 654 24 01 34
Fax (+34) 963 49 31 80

PGP Public Key available at http://www.infoemergencias.com/lgomez.asc

Reply to: