Re: CFS bug (was: CFS problems)

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:36:34AM -0500, Oleg wrote:
> On Saturday 21 December 2002 08:21 pm, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 02:51:29PM -0500, Oleg wrote:
> > > That is cmkdir gives an error, but creates a directory, while cattach
> > > fails altogether. Does anyone know why? And isn't CFS supposed to be file
> > > system agnostic?

cfs doesn't work on all filesystems, see http://bugs.debian.org/136411
and /usr/share/doc/cfs/README.Debian.  This is another case though.

> cmkdir encrypted_directory
> writes to file "encrypted_directory/...". Apparently, this can not be done
> with FAT32. Had CFS used another file, such as "..a" instead of "...", it
> would be able to work with FAT32, I believe.

The linux vfat implementation doesn't support filenames ending with a
dot, see linux/fs/vfat/namei.c:int vfat_add_entry(). I've tested
linux-2.4.17:

 # mount |grep mnt; cd /mnt
 /tmp/fatfs on /mnt type vfat (rw,loop=/dev/loop0)
 # touch foo.
 # cp foo. foo
 cp: `foo.' and `foo' are the same file
 # cp foo. foo..
 cp: `foo.' and `foo..' are the same file
 #

Dots at the end of the filename are stripped, so creating a file '...',
which cfs does, fails.  I'm not sure if this is a bug in vfat, I didn't
find it documented anywhere; google gave me this:

 http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=14942

If this isn't a bug in vfat or a bug that cannot be fixed, it should be
possible to work around this.  If so, please file a wishlist bug against
cfs.

Regards, Gerrit.