CFS problems

Hi

As a user, I can create cryptographic directories within my home directory and
attach them:

$ cd
$ cmkdir encr
Key:
Again:
$ cattach ./encr
Key:
$ ls /crypt/
encr/

However, doing the same in a mounted FAT32 partition that also belongs to the
user fails:

$ cmkdir vfat_encr
Key:
Again:
cmkdir: Invalid argument
$ ls -d vfat_*
vfat_encr
$ cattach ./vfat_encr
Key:
cattach: no such encrypted directory
$ ls /crypt/
encr/

That is cmkdir gives an error, but creates a directory, while cattach fails
altogether. Does anyone know why? And isn't CFS supposed to be file system
agnostic?

A quick search through Google told me that a FreeBSD user had a similar
problem in 2000: he could not cattach files outside of his home directory. He
solved it by doing "chmod a+x" on the directory that contained it
[vfat_encr]. However, I already have world-readable and executable
permissions there, so this doesn't help me.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Oleg

Oleg