Re: [d-security] woody apache/ssl - security issue?

On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 15:13, Christian Hammers wrote:
> Hello
>
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 02:03:43PM +0100, Jeff Armstrong wrote:
> > Symptoms:
> >  Apache stops dishing pages - no log or error messages
> >  netstat shows Apache still listening
> >  /etc/init.d/apache stop fails to kill all apache processes
> >  have to killapp apache and kill -9 some individual apache processes
> >  no cores, no messages in syslog, daemon.log or messages
> Can't remember the kill charactersitics but the other symptoms, failing
> w/o giving any clue, are also happening if the filesystem is full and
> apache cannot write new logfile entries. It starts to work again as soon
> as it has free space again.
>
> The logfile entries you've shown are absolutely harmless, I use exactly
> the same strings for testing if a webserver responses.
hmm. To me they don't seem harmless.  Looks more like you've been
visited by a slapper worm (which leaves the same trails in your
logfiles)

Cheers,

Tycho

--
Tycho Fruru			                tycho@fruru.com
"Prediction is extremely difficult. Especially about the future."