Re: question from a newbie regarding possible trojan

Before trying to figure out if your system is infected and looking for trojans and worms, look closer at the data.  Two of the systems connected to are POP3 mail servers.  Probably one for your ISP and one for your school/work place.

The rest are web servers and most are associated with Microsoft, some for web browsing and others for downloads (Microsoft Updates).  Where you browsing late at night?  Did you have a mail client running that was configured to periodically check you POP servers?

PORT 110 -- POP3 Mail Servers
-----------------------------
24.71.223.43	mail.nb.shawcable.net
142.58.120.21	rm-rstar.sfu.ca (Simon Frasier University - in Canada)

PORT 80 -- HTTP Web Servers
207.46.196.102	??? (microsoft.com)
207.46.197.113	www.international.microsoft.com
207.46.235.150	msdownload.microsoft.com
207.46.235.162	msdownload.microsoft.com
207.68.184.62	c.msn.com
209.11.107.14	Digital Guardian (security company in NJ)

Have you defined HOME_NET in snort.conf to your IP address so that snort knows what traffic is from your machine/net versus to your machine/net?

Dave Goldsmith