Fwd: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in PostgreSQL

I am sure the Security team is already on this....but an FYI.

----- Forwarded message from Sir Mordred The Traitor <mordred@s-mail.com> -----

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 15:40:28 +0000
From: Sir Mordred The Traitor <mordred@s-mail.com>
To: bugtraq@securityfocus.com
Subject: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in PostgreSQL

// @(#) Mordred Labs Advisory 0x0001

Release data: 19/08/02
Name: Buffer overflow in PostgreSQL
Versions affected: <= 7.2
Risk: average

PostgreSQL is an advanced object-relational database management system
that supports an extended subset of the SQL standard, including
transactions,
foreign keys, subqueries, triggers, user-defined types and functions.

There exists a stack based buffer overflow in cash_words() function, that
potentially allows an attacker to execute malicious code.

--[ How to reproduce:
psql> select cash_words('-700000000000000000000000000000');
pgReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
	.... ....
The connection to the server was lost...

--[ Solution:
Upgrade to version 7.2.1.

This letter has been delivered unencrypted. We'd like to remind you that
the full protection of e-mail correspondence is provided by S-mail
encryption mechanisms if only both, Sender and Recipient use S-mail.
Register at S-mail.com: http://www.s-mail.com/inf/en

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Phil