RE: CERT Advisory CA-2002-19 Buffer Overflow in Multiple DNS Resolver Libraries

I believe he asked if "libisc4/libdns5" were the only things affected?

As BIND8.2.3 is in stable, I think it might be prudent to assume that
libraries in stable may be affected too. What about liblwres1 and
libresolv.so in libc6?

> > I am assuming that an update for libc6 for stable will
> follow as soon as
> > the security team are able.
>
> If it affects GNU libc, which is still unclear, at least to me. Pine's
> original advisory states "Platforms: FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
> NetBSD, maybe more."
> and so far the status of
> http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/803539 for > every
> Linux vendor
> is "Unknown".

libc6 is indeed a big package and the Pine announcement seems rather
general, if we are lucky, Debians libresolv.so wont need an update.

Remember that the exploit affects programs that link against these
libraries to query a DNS server - you don't have to have BIND installed
to be vulnerable.

Call me paranoid, but I'm still not convinced that this issue is fixed.

Regards
Jeff