Re: DSA-134-1

Hi,

Christian Jaeger wrote:

> Hmm, I'm wondering if it's any better: if the attacker manages code
> to run in the chrooted daemon, I suspect he can also advise the part
> running as root to open up a new root connection? Isn't it that the
> separation simply protects against direct shell launch attacks? Well
> I'm not educated enough to know, just wondering.

just imagine:
i login as root.
su to ralf (man su)
ralf executes any buggy programm, where someone else can insert
shellcode.
(e.g. chmod 777 /home/ralf -R; /home/ralf/myshellscript.sh)

this shellcode is executed as user ralf, not as user root.

there is no chance to execute the shellcode, which inserted any other
user in /home/ralf/myshellscript.sh) as root, although i logged in as
root. (if we assume that there is no bug in "su")

bye
Ralf