Re: DSA-134-1

At 17:16 Uhr +0200 25.06.2002, Ralf Dreibrodt wrote:
this shellcode is executed as user ralf, not as user root.

I'm not worried about a shell spawned by the chrooted process.

Chroot and su to some undangerous user helps if that's one-way only, i.e. the process doesn't have any connection to sensitive areas anymore. But in the case of sshd, it's not one-way: as far as I understand, the process running in the chroot as 'sshd' (say process 2) user does the communication with the client, but, and that's the problem, it does have a connection with a sister process running as root (say process 1) which it tells to launch a login shell for the user requested by the client. Normally, process 2 would of course only advise process 1 to do that if the remote client correctly identifies itself/gives the password. But if a malicious client submits data that corrupts process 2, he could make it to tell process 1 to launch a login shell for root. How should process 1 find out whether process 2 has been corrupted?

(Well, it would be easy if logins are username/password only: if the check for correct username/password is done by process 1, process 2 has to provide them which it can't if the cracker doesn't know them anyway. But since ssh also allows public-key based logins, and I would guess that the key check is done by process 2, it looks different. Sorry if this starts to be OT.)

Christian.