Re: Proposal for new Security subsection for non-US

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 11:49:02AM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 01:25:56PM -0300, Peter Cordes wrote:
> > Unfortunately, it's probably too late to integrate rsync into the whole apt
> > system, so it can rsync stuff in /var/cache/apt/archives.
>
> First thing's first:  we need to have people regularly updating these
> data packages before we should worry about whether we have the resources
> to distribute them effectively.  Though rsync might make things nicer
> for end-users on low-speed connections, I think it'll be a long time
> before this archive will come anywhere near the bandwidth requirements
> for even a single site that publically mirrors unstable or testing.

 Yeah, thanks for the dose of reality.  I'm too much of a perfectionist;  I
never get things done because they won't be optimal.

 Most people don't run snort or the other things that would be part of this,
so even with frequent updates it wouldn't see anywhere near the amount of
traffic that all the users of stable could generate.

 Still, is anybody working on adding rsync support to apt?

--
#define X(x,y) x##y