Re: Proposal for new Security subsection for non-US

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 01:25:56PM -0300, Peter Cordes wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 12:46:27AM +0300, Pavel Minev Penev wrote:
> > I would think of using xdelta, or similar to distrubute changes as
> > binary patches, since there could be a real server overload when a few
> > hundred administrators and mere people start downloading the brand new
> > deifinitions simultaneously. What about a public rsync? Maybe a usual
> > announce mailing list?

> > In my oppinion, a package created ten minutes ago can't go into stable.
> > Even if it is a simple virus/worm/blacklist/... definion. Bugs can crawl
> > anywhere. Therefore, I don't think the proposed type of packages can
> > ever be a part of stable. I guess it should be like: use unstable for
> > just those packages, and stable for all the rest.

>  Well, woody will be the first stable release to support pinning, and this
> looks like an excellent application for it.  Still, unless you can put
> rsync:// URLs in sources.list, it won't solve everything.  rsync or
> something similar would save a lot of traffic for this kind of thing.
> Unfortunately, it's probably too late to integrate rsync into the whole apt
> system, so it can rsync stuff in /var/cache/apt/archives.

First thing's first:  we need to have people regularly updating these
data packages before we should worry about whether we have the resources
to distribute them effectively.  Though rsync might make things nicer
for end-users on low-speed connections, I think it'll be a long time
before this archive will come anywhere near the bandwidth requirements
for even a single site that publically mirrors unstable or testing.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer