Re: Quality of security assurance with Debian vs. RedHat vs. SuSE

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Brad B wrote:

> I don't think it matters what distro the newcomer starts with...once one
> knows what they are doing to the point of making an educated decision,
> the wise man chooses debian.

The wise man chooses what he is best at maintaining, which usually means:

a) the distro which has the best maintainance tools (and debian is great
at this)

b) the distro he knows best and is most experienced with, and thus he is
most able to maintain, which needs not be debian

In my opinion, b) _always_ wins over a). While I prefer debian myself, I
can easily accept that people in the network I administer install any
other good distro on their personally managed computer, provided they are
proficient in securing and maintaining it. It would actually mean more
work for me to force debian down the throat of people who are skilled
users of, say, SuSE or RedHat or name_your_own_preferred_other_distro. On
the other hand, expertise of the administrator being equal, I invariably
recommend and install debian on new computers. And I used and administered
Slackware and RedHat, before choosing and sticking to debian.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it, giacomo.mulas@tin.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel.: +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222