Re: PPTP with Encryption

At 11:23 AM -0700 4/30/02, Anne Carasik wrote:
 > (who would LOVE to move to a _MORE_ secure solution, but is content,
 for now, to only allow himself and one other to even have accounts on
 the box with the cleartext passwds)

Ugh.. I'd never be content with cleartext passwords, especially given
how many security solutions are around today.

Falls in the category of "show me another solution that's already on every user's system, and I'll happily drink of that fountain instead". I agree with you 100%, but in the environment I'm dealing with, folks are reticent to go add additional software to their expenses, and (for windows users, which like it or not is still 90+% of the userbase) almost any non-M$ solution incurs a cost. :(

I'm not "content" with cleartext passwords, per se, but "making do" with such, and strictly limiting access to the box which has them visible, so maybe my choice of words was a bit wrong, but I didn't really want to have launch into the "windows users are idiots who won't get REAL secure stuff, so I have to make do with what little security I can coax out of them" diatribe. ;-)

| dredd@megacity.org  | "Thou art the ruins of the noblest man  |
|  Derek J. Balling   |  That ever lived in the tide of times.  |
|                     |  Woe to the hand that shed this costly  |
|                     |  blood" - Julius Caesar Act 3, Scene 1  |