Re: PPTP with Encryption

At 6:52 PM +0200 4/30/02, Tim van Erven wrote:
On Tue, Apr 30, 2002 at 10:54:24AM -0400, "Derek J. Balling" <dredd@megacity.org> wrote:
 Does anyone have a nice simple HOWTO on how to add encryption to the
 pptpd daemon, so that windows VPN users can connect using encryption?

As a side note: have you considered that using the encryption in pptp
forces you to store userpasswords in cleartext? For my ISP [1] that was
a reason not to use pptp's encryption, especially since MS-CHAPv2
contains known security holes [2].

Yes, unfortunately, for our predominant workstation (Win98), M$'s PPTP client is ubiquitous and other solutions are not necessarily so commonly deployed.

(who would LOVE to move to a _MORE_ secure solution, but is content, for now, to only allow himself and one other to even have accounts on the box with the cleartext passwds)
--
| dredd@megacity.org  | "Thou art the ruins of the noblest man  |