Re: Webserver questions: using samba, avoiding cleartext passwords, co-existing with Windows

hiya

download and install ssh into each windoze box that needs
access to the debian box

samba   -> encrypted passwd is typically already on
	smbpasswd  is needed to allow the windoze users to connect

nfs	-> use secure portmap, secure nfs, ....

ftp	-> secure ftp w/  scp
telnet  -> secure telnet w/ ssh or putty or ??
	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/SSH/ssh.windows.txt

pop3    -> secure pop3 w/ ipop3s  and turn on SSL on clients
	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Mail/secure_pop3.txt

make backups BEFORE they change the files...

better still have them update http://STAGE.foo.com and
update when the "manager" says release the new site to the real server

... and disallow dhcp/wireless...

c ya
alvin
http://www.Linux-Sec.net