Re: NFS, password transparency, and security

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 08:23:17AM +0300, Sami Haahtinen wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 08:14:26PM -0700, Luca Filipozzi wrote:
> > Two choices (I like lists :) ):
> >
> > (1) use libpam-ldap:
>
> i recommend this.

I also recommend this.

> > (2) don't use libpam-ldap:
> >     You don't have to use libpam-ldap.  You could just use
> >     libnss-ldap and have the ldap server transfer the password
> >     hashes to the workstations in the clear ... which is equivalent
> >     to NIS.  You could also use libnss-ldap with SSL/TLS so that the
> >     hashes are transferred more securely (equivalent to NIS+).
>
> i don't recommend the above to anyone (do as i say, not as i do.. =) it
> will cause problems, you are forced to enter the database access
> password to the configuration, which you will then need to make readable
> to root, which in turn forces you to use nscd.

No, you don't.  You can set the ACLs in slapd.conf for userPassword to
'by * read'.  Sure, it's not a good choice.  That's why I said that it
is the equivalent of NIS.

> this also allows crackers to access your userbase, unlike libpam-ldap,
> where you are not forced to allow userpassword read access to the
> database. The cracker just needs to hack this machine, read the password
> from config and voila, ur nt3w0rk has been 0wn3d!

You don't need to put a binddn/bindpw into libnss-ldap if you make
userPassword readable by all.  libnss-ldap can bind anonymously.  It's
NIS-equivalent, however, so if the hashes are weak based on weak
passwords, a dictionary attack is possible (just like NIS).

Also, if you were to use a binddn/bindpw, you wouldn't use the
rootdn/rootpw.

Note for non-LDAP folk: userPassword is the hashed password, not the
cleartext password.

Luca

--
Luca Filipozzi, Debian Developer
[dpkg] We are the apt. You will be packaged. Comply.