Re: NFS, password transparency, and security

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 10:04:01PM -0500, Rob VanFleet wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 07:39:43PM -0700, Luca Filipozzi wrote:
> > Two choices for authentication (passwd + shadow):
> > (1) Kerberos
> >     Never used it. Can't advise you.
>
> I've looked at Kerberos, but at least a cursory glance at leaves the
> impressions that it is ridiculously complicated to set up and requires
> multiple servers.  If someone has used it and can correct me, please do.

I suspect that if all your boxes are running Debian that your life will
be made easier by all the Debian kerberos packages.

> > (2) LDAP
> >     Use LDAP (recompile --with-tls flag) + libpam-ldap + libnss-ldap to do
> >     the equivalent of NIS but securely.
>
> Without using SSL or Kerberos, would LDAP still be sending passwords
> across the net in plain text?

Two choices (I like lists :) ):

(1) use libpam-ldap:
    libpam-ldap sends the password to the ldap server.  If not using
    TLS/SSL, then it is sent in the clear.  By sending the password to
    the server (rather than using a salt+hash), you can use whatever
    hash algorithm you want on the server.  The server takes the
    password and does the hashing locally.
    So, you *must* use TLS/SSL if you are using libpam-ldap, imo.

(2) don't use libpam-ldap:
    You
    You don't have to use libpam-ldap.  You could just use
    libnss-ldap and have the ldap server transfer the password
    hashes to the workstations in the clear ... which is equivalent
    to NIS.  You could also use libnss-ldap with SSL/TLS so that the
    hashes are transferred more securely (equivalent to NIS+).

Luca

--
Luca Filipozzi, Debian Developer
[dpkg] We are the apt. You will be packaged. Comply.